Twice a year the Wander Project “Make it Rain” committee meets to review the funds raised for half of the year and to review all of the grant applications we’ve received seeking these funds.
Last week this committee met and we were so inspired by the 2022 athletes from the first half of our event year. Already charity bib athletes have raised $112,060.26 from the Saguaro Half Marathon to the Cocodona 250 and through the Glacier Half Marathon!
While reviewing the grants from nonprofit partner organizations throughout these areas and beyond, our BOD President and the Vacation Races Founder was so inspired by what we were able to accomplish with athlete raised funds that he provided a match of $6,175.04.
Below is the list of organizations and projects that we were able to support because of YOU our charity bib athletes:
- Friends of Saguaro NP- Next Generation Ranger Corps Internship Program
- Zion National Park Forever Project- Concrete to Canyons youth program
- The Nature Conservancy- Sheep Bridge Nature Preserve: unrestricted funds
- Navajo Yes (Antelope Canyon)- Creating family-friendly outdoor spaces at trailheads
- Yosemite Conservancy- California Conservation Corps-Restoring Yosemite’s Wilderness Trails
- Wilderness Volunteers (Bryce, Saguaro)- Volunteer program expenses
- Grand Staircase Escalante Partners (Bryce)- Trail Ambassadors Program
- West Yellowstone Foundation- Restoration project around The Bob Jacklin Casting Pond
- West Yellowstone Ski Education Foundation- Extending the West Yellowstone Biathlon Range specifically to support adaptive athletes
- Grand Teton NP Foundation- Climate change programs including: Glacier Monitoring, Pika Research and Monitoring & Whitebark Pine Monitoring and Conservation
- Glacier Conservancy- Linnii Initiative Project: returning bison to the landscape (specifically in East Glacier)
- Public Lands Alliance- General/Unrestricted support
- Athlete Request-Yosemite Eastern Sierra Conservation Corps- Expanding Immersive education programming and providing the gear necessary to for programs like backpacking and trail work sessions
- Athlete Request-Yellowstone Mission 22- Veterans Programs, including: PTSD and suicide awareness programs to gym memberships to stay active
- Athlete Request-Bryce Great Basin K9 SAR
- Athlete Request-Cocodona Agape House- Provides support and housing for families experiencing homelessness
- Athlete Request-Cocodona Challenged Athletes Foundation- Supports disabled athletes with grants, camps & clinics, and mentorship
- Athlete Request-Cocodona Racing for Orphans with Down Syndrome (RODS)- supporting adoption efforts for youth with Down Syndrome
- Athlete Request-Cocodona Tan’s Treats- Provides meals to children in need on weekends and holidays when school programs are unavailable to fulfill this need
- Navajo Yes (3 athletes MV Ultras)- General, unrestricted funds
Again, we couldn’t be more inspired by what this community has been able to accomplish and support already this year.
For 2023, however, we are switching things up and instead of the WP Committee allocating funds to organizations that fit within our mission, we are opening this up to you! With a charity bib for any of our 2023 events, YOU choose where the funds go! This can still be to one of our nonprofit partners, or you can choose a cause that matters to you.
Check out the Wander Project Event’s page and find your next adventure and turn your passion into purpose!