This week the Wander Project Make It Rain committee (which is what we call our grant committee) met for the last time. As we transition to 2023 and empower our participants to choose how charity bib funds are allocated, this committee will no longer need to review grant requests. It was very bittersweet.
We loved reviewing grant proposals to see the ripple effect our charity bib participants have in and around the places races are held. It’s always exciting to see how much money YOU, our athletes, are able to raise by engaging your communities in your fundraising journey.
This was the second meeting of the year and we granted $63,673.99 from events that spanned July through November (think Rainier to TransRockies to Joshua Tree). Below are the projects Wander Project was able to support because of our charity bib athletes:
- $3,058.92 Rainier Foothills Wellness Foundation- In-school mental health counseling and the HealStrike program
- $8,428.79 The Marshall Effect- Supporting DBT therapy for individuals that are at risk of suicide
- $3,855.95 World Central Kitchen- Providing meals for families in the face of humanitarian crises, climate concerns and community problems
- $6,483.99 Friends of the Smokies- Cades Cover field restoration
- $3,483.03 Make A Wish SC- Granting a partial wish for a child with a terminal illness
- $5,790.36 Zion National Park Forever Project- Concrete to Canyons youth program
- $10,617.86 Grand Staircase Escalante Partners- Trail Ambassadors Program
- $14,092.26 Navajo Yes- Creating family-friendly outdoor spaces at trailheads around the Reservation
- $1,091.70 The Alliance for Florida’s National Parks- Youth programs in Everglades National Park
- $2,306.23 National Float it Forward Association- Two float sessions to 10 veterans to address PTSD, stress and anxiety
- $4,464.90 Joshua Tree National Park Association- Desert Institute field days
This week’s meeting filled our hearts and has been one of our favorite ways to wrap up the year!
So, while we are sad to see our Make It Rain committee dissolve, we are looking forward to the causes that our charity bib program can support in 2023.
Already, we have seen the causes that matter to you span from providing mental health services with our National Partner, Bigger Than The Trail, to very personalized causes like providing direct financial support to individuals and families fighting all forms of cancer.
We will continue to have opportunities to support the communities where our events are held. You can check out our Local, Regional and National Nonprofit Partners on our website or directly on the registration for any of our events.
So, as we bring 2022 to a close, we want to say “THANK YOU” again to everyone who helped us support all of the organizations and important projects within the communities where our events were held. We are truly grateful for our Wander Project community and look forward to the new year with you all!!